Ways to Give this Holiday Season
November 30, 2022
We know that giving is not one size fits all and we hope this information may be helpful as you plan your year-end giving. Giving through alternative methods like DAF’s, stocks, etc. can be beneficial for both your charitable giving goals and your own financial planning.
This article is meant to offer basic information about a variety of giving vehicles and all major financial decisions should be discussed with your loved ones and legal counsel.
Make a Gift
- Make a one-time gift at famchildplace.org/donate
- Donate in honor of a friend or loved one.
- Join our monthly giving program – the Pinwheel Campaign. On average, donors in our monthly program give $11.33/month.
- Join our major gift program with a pledge of $6,000 or more to be paid over 5 years ($1,200/year or $100/month).
- Double your donation. Many companies offer matching gift programs encouraging employees to contribute to charitable organizations. Ask your company if they will match your donation to Family & Children’s Place.
Gifts through Donor Advised Funds (DAF’s)
You can make a big contribution of cash, stock or other assets to a DAF in one year and receive a federal income tax deduction for your donation in that year.
To make a gift from your donor advised fund simply contact the host organization with your DAF and recommend a grant or gift from your account to Family & Children’s Place. You’ll need our Federal Tax ID number and mailing address (found at the end of this article).
Ways that DAF’s can help FCP:
- Advise a distribution from your DAF to Family & Children’s Place today as an end of year gift.
- Use your DAF to advise distributions to Family & Children’s Place over time.
- Name Family & Children’s Place a beneficiary of your DAF as a final legacy gift.
Gifts of Stock & Appreciated Assets
Donating appreciated assets—like highly appreciated stocks—to charity is a tax-favored way to support your favorite charity. You get the benefit of a charitable deduction for the fair market value of the assets at the time of your contribution without paying capital gains tax on the appreciation. (Forbes, 2021)
You’ll need Family & Children’s Place Federal Tax ID number and account information for asset transfer. Contact information for the appropriate staff member can be found at the end of this article.
Donate Part of Your IRA
If you are 70 ½ or older, you can transfer up to $100,000 of IRA withdrawals each year directly to a qualified charity without recognizing these withdrawals as income. This is known as a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD), and it will count toward satisfying any Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) you must take from your traditional IRA each year after reaching age 72.
A bequest or living trust is an easy and generous way of giving that helps the community and leave a legacy. A simple designation in your will costs nothing today.
Sample bequest language:
I hereby give, devise, and bequeath to Family & Children’s Place the sum of $_____________, or _____________%, or ___________________ fractional interest of my estate.
Designations: (for a specific project, program, or use)
It is my desire and instruction this bequest to Family & Children’s Place be used for the following: ______________________________________________________________________________
Visit https://familyandchildrensplace.org/ways-to-give/ for more ideas.
Family & Children’s Place (Attn: Leah Walker), 525 Zane Street, Louisville, KY 40203
F&CP Tax ID Number: 61-0549561
Contact Leah Walker, Senior Vice President of External Affairs, at (502) 855-6075 with questions.